Thursday, January 19, 2012

So many presentations, so little time

The last two days I've been muy ocupado (very busy).  On Wednesday, I ventured off to my new school. Luckily, I met up with some other girls so I didn't have to find my way on my own (I feel a song coming on...).  I take the metro two stops to a train station, and a commuter train to Getafe, where Carlos III de Madrid is located.  It doesn't take too long, but definitely can't roll out of bed and get to class in 5 minutes like I do in Berkeley.  Wednesday and Thursday were two long days of presentations and welcomes and explanations (oh my).  A Spanish student who we had met at our hotel took us on a tour of campus in what us Californians considered freezing cold weather.  It might have actually been freezing-as in 0 degrees as we say here in Spain. The director of the program welcomed us and told us about all of the great opportunities we have and how we are here mainly for classes and all that jazz.  I mean, classes sound great but let's be honest, they're one of many reasons why I'm here-life experience, fluency in Spanish...  We ate lunch in the cafeteria where I was wryly greeted with a menu of sandwiches and baguettes, and one sad sad salad.  Apparently being gluten free isn't quite as trendy as in LA and Berkeley.  I think I'm going to start bringing my own lunch.  Later on, each of the professors gave a short presentation about their classes, which was pretty helpful.  Some of them spoke very clearly and at a decent pace while other rushed and mumbled-guess whose classes I prefer.  Today we had more professor presentations and received some info about extracurricular activities we can participate in, including theatre, choir, and dance!  Apparently, most universities in Madrid don't really have extensive arts programs, but Carlos III takes pride in theirs.  Guess I chose the right place.  Also took a placement test and discovered that I'm really not a fan of la gramática en español.  My father was only a grammar police in English.

Besides school, I also experienced one of the madrileño's favorite past times-rooting for Real Madrid vs. Barcelona at a pub.  I (legally, of course) went out with some friends from the program to a bar near puerta de sol, which is basically the heart of shopping and nightlife.  Unfortunately, the bar was just as crowded and sweaty as a rush week frat party and we had to squeeze our way through to find a place to hang out.  Oh, and to watch the game.  Since Madrid is my home for the next 4 months, I felt obligated to root for them, but, like the Dodgers so often do in LA, they let me down.  (Ok, the Dodgers never personally let me down because really, American's favorite sport is way less exciting than Europe's and the Dodger dogs frankly aren't worth sitting through 7 innings.  But they let my brother down, so I have some sympathetic knowledge).  After the game-watching crowd cleared out, it was quickly evident how many American exchange students were there.  The bartender even spoke English pretty perfectly.  It must be a thing.  I'll keep searching for wear the real Spanish students hang out.
Today after school, a bunch of us walked around el Parque del Retiro, a big Central Park/Golden Gate Park type place in the city.  It was a beautiful time of day, as you can see in the photo.
Now I'm just relaxing in my room.  Still struggling with sleep a little bit but it's getting better.

As my adorable niece Lilah would say, besitos!

1 comment:

  1. okay so reasons why I miss you:
    1. I started singing "On my own" while reading this too! haha
    2. you're little Dodger rant= excellent
    3. "It must be a thing"
    I'm so glad you're having fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete