Saturday, January 14, 2012

Packing, Family, and Gluten Free Pizza


Transitions-a time to say goodbye, a time to say hello; beginning a new journey; the most exciting and terrifying moments.
Today is my last day in the United States for the semester.  That means the last day in the comfort of home surrounded by the people who know me best (while eating gluten free pizza, one of my new favorite indulgences and quite possibly my last pork-free meal for a while...).
It also means the beginning of an adventure that I've been waiting for since I was, let's say 6 years old.  While most people become aware of study abroad programs when they get to college, my first encounter with the opportunity was when my oldest sister, Rachel, went to Israel for her junior year abroad.  Naomi went to Israel and Washington D.C. when I was 9.  Jonny went to Paris when I was 12.  I waited eagerly for my turn.  I was even lucky enough to have an incredible abroad experience early when I spent 3 months in Israel in 10th grade.  But the college abroad opportunity still awaited.
Now, at 20, it's my turn for a junior year journey, my journey to Madrid.  Why Madrid, you may ask?  Well, while thinking about going abroad, I wanted to achieve 2 goals-travel around Europe and learn Spanish.  Those goals combined with my love for big cities made Madrid the perfect option.
Over this entire winter break, I've been trying to picture what my life this semester will look like while soaking in all of the best parts of my life at home-going to camp, quality family time, singing endless musical theatre songs with my brother and cousin, dancing, shabbat dinners, and spending time with my best friends.  Lucky for me, all of these things will be waiting for me here when I get back.
I'm going to miss my friends and family at home and in Berkeley so so so much.  Hopefully, this blog will help me stay connected to you (so bother me if I don't update it!) so you can follow my life in Madrid and traveling around Europe.  Travel recommendations are always welcome.
I love you all and I can't wait to talk to you soon!
-Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment