Thursday, January 26, 2012

Classes, fútbol, and peanut butter

I found peanut butter.

No, it was nowhere near the jelly in the market.  No, the label was not in Spanish, it was in English-and it's hekshered.  And then I found a gluten free section.

For a second there, I wasn't sure if I was still in Spain.

You see there's this place called El Corte Íngles, which is basically a supermarket+Target+Macys all in one.  Kinda like an American shopper's Disneyland.

But enough about that, and on to the more significant and interesting things in my life at the moment.  I just finished my first week of classes at Carlos III.  To my friends in college fighting for classes-imagine if you had a whole week to go to any class you want, not go the next day, and still decide that you want to take it without the fear of being dropped for not showing up and deciding to try another class at the same time.  Sounds awesome right?  That's basically how my week went.  A lot of trying things out, a lot of judging whether or not I can understand the way the professor speaks, and a lot of debating over if a class is worth taking if I have a 7 hour break before it.  A downside of my long commute to school is that it is hard to justify going home between classes, and there are a lot of long breaks.  So, although I don't miss ruthlessly fighting with telebears, I do miss the luxury of living 2 blocks from campus.

In the end, I've chosen to take: Spanish Language (which everyone takes), Colloquial Spanish (learning slang, cool, huh?), Sociology of Gender in Spain (shocker), Journalism/Media (it's awesome), and Politics and Society of Spain (so I can discuss with my big bro).  I'll let you know how they go.

Another notable thing this week: I've decided that I'm officially becoming a Real Madrid fan.  I met up with my Spanish "buddy" who has a group of international students who she is available to help with anything regarding school or the city.  She organized an outing to a tapas bar with multiple tvs, where we watched the Madrid-Barcelona game.  Unfortunately, Madrid didn't do so well.  But I was rooting for them!  I must admit, I didn't actually stay for the whole game and one of my new friends from Canada explained who the famous players were, so I don't know if I'm a true fan yet...easing my way in.

Excited to start another weekend.  I have plans to go on a day trip to Toledo at some point.  Super excited to start traveling, even if it's only a 30 minute bus ride.

Don't forget to update me on your lives!

Besos

No comments:

Post a Comment