Sunday, January 22, 2012

El Primer Fin de Semana

Weekends in Madrid put weekends at home to shame.

That is, if you love nightlife.  And at least for the moment, I'm enjoying the nightlife.

The weekend technically began Thursday night, as we have no class on Fridays, something I've attempted at Cal every semester and consistently failed at, mostly due to my 5 days a week Spanish classes.  Worth it?  It seems like it.  A lot of people went to this multi-story club called El Kapital, but I opted to stay home as I wasn't feeling too great.  Desperate to stay healthy this semester unlike the 4 month cough/cold of el semestre pasado.  I think it was a good choice,

So, the fun began on Friday.  I met up with a bunch of girls to go shopping.  I know, you're shocked.  20-year-old girls in a new European city shopping?  Blasphemy.  After returning home for dinner (which I eat at 9:00 PM), the group met up again to go to El Tigre, a popular tapas bar filled with a mixture of Madrileños and Americanos.  We were delighted to find that as a group of Americans, we seem to be doing pretty well for ourselves in Spain with our ability to keep from completely embarrassing ourselves while speaking Spanish or acting noticeably obnoxious in the eyes of the Spaniard.  At the same time, some Spanish guys made fun of us for going home at 2:00 AM.

On Saturday, the nerdy lover of camp-like organized activities in me totally came out.  I participated in a scavenger hunt through the center of the city organized by the Erasmus Student Network (ESN), a European student group that plans events for exchange students.  We scavenged through the city stopping to do the maccarena (which the leader could sing in perfect Spanish...interesting...), take a picture jumping in front of El Palacio, the old palace for the king of Spain, and so-on.
After that, a bunch of us wandered around the city for a while with no apparent goal other than finding a place for a diet coke.  Success.
Saturday night, we once again assumed the role of los jovenes españoles, got dressed up, and went out. This time to a bar/club with a famous drink that resembles horchata, and that is distributed through spouts coming out of the ceiling.  Don't fear, cow utter jokes were made (although I kept the fact that it reminded me of the "kiddush cow" to myself, anticipating some very confused looks).  Once again a mixture of Spanish and American 20-somethings, once again crowded, once again fun.  Sensing a trend?

Today I'm just taking it easy.  Possibly going to a travel fair to get some discounts and info.  It's a beautiful day and I'm happy to relax.  Give me a couple weeks of this constant going out and I'll be the one organizing the Saturday night movie marathon with some cafe con leche and churros con chocolate.

Missing you all at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment