Wednesday, February 22, 2012

That used to be Muslim or Jewish...and now it's Catholic

When I was in 5th grade, my parents, brother, and I drove across the country to take Jonny to college as a result of post 9/11 flight cancellations.  It was appropriate timing for me to be driving through multiple states as a 5th grader learning US history for the first time and memorizing her state capitals (Duh, Moines).  I remember how drastically different the states were, from the scenery (Iowa and Nebraska in fact only contain corn fields) to the people (who knew that we could look so dark?).

Last weekend, my UC program took us on a 6 hour bus ride to Cordoba and then Granada in the Autonomous Community of AndalucĂ­a.  That means I got to see 2 more autonomous communities in the time it would take me to drive from LA to Berkeley.  If you had magically taken me to Spain without my knowledge and told me I was driving through the middle of California, I would have believed you.  Spain is not a tiny county and I know that if I lived in the East Coast, I could drive through multiple states in one sitting, but it just fascinates me how diverse and huge the US is compared to other places around the world.

But I'll continue since the bus ride probably wasn't the most exciting part of this trip.

We arrived in Cordoba, gasped at the beautiful views of the old, small city, put our stuff down at Hotel Maimonidies, and went out to eat some delicious traditional tapas.  [Quick Jewish side-note: the group I was with was having trouble remembering the name of the hotel.  Don't worry.  I couldn't forget.]  After lunch, the touring began.  We went to La Mezquita Catedral, which literally means the mosque cathedral.  This was the main mosque that used to be used when Cordoba was a Muslim city.  It has since been converted into a Catholic cathedral--that is Spain's way after all-- but still maintains the original architecture of the mosque with some add ons.  Thus, it was a nice change of pace from the other gaudy churches I've seen so far (did you get the pun? did I ruin it by saying that?).  After that, we walked around the city with our tour guide, visiting the charming calleja de las flores (street of flowers) and the Jewish quarter.  Lo and behold, the namesake of our hotel, ladies and gentlemen.  A statue of Maimonidies and a little history about him from our tour guide.  Found some Judaism in Spain.  Win.


That night, I once again ate some delicious tapas and then went to a flamenco show, which was possibly one of my favorite things I've done in Spain so far.  As an Israeli dancer, I was really excited to get to see another type of cultural dance.  It was absolutely incredibly.  I want the dresses and the castanets and the ability to move my feet that quickly.  Who knew that some parts of flamenco dance involved something that sort of resembles tap?  Oh and the live guitar and singer?  Get better.
I'm signing up for a class.  I need one of those dresses.  Here is a video, which I'm pretty sure is at the same venue as my show, so you can share in the fabulousness that is flamenco music and dancing.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iepNs3AOfco&feature=related

The next day, we got back on the bus, our new home on wheels for the weekend, and drove to Granada.  Granada is also a beautiful city-didn't feel as "small towny" as Cordoba but still couldn't compete with the cosmopolitan glory that is Madrid.  First sight seeing stop was the Alhambra.  This place is absolutely incredible.  You must go.  It was an Arab palace for the Khalifs dating back to the 9th century and is built above the city.  It had a similar architectural feel to the Mezquita in Cordoba, but was much more grand.  The palace seemed endless and it just kept getting more beautiful.  Then you see the views of the city and you just can't believe someone actually lived here once.  After the fantastic but tiring tour, we walked back down to the city and I went to an Arab-style tea house on a street that reminded me of the Arab shuk in Jerusalem.  After a much needed nap, we had dinner at the hotel and then ventured out for a night at the town.  My friends and I went to a night club that had a view of the Alhambra.  Lit up.  It was close to magical.

On the last day of our weekend whirlwind, we hiked up to see yet another gorgeous view of the entire city.  They seemed to be endless.  Our last stop was a church where King Ferdanand and Queen Isabella are buried.  It was pretty cool and pretty eerie.

Finally, back to the bus for another 6 hours of sleep.  I returned to Madrid with a lot of homework and a midterm to get ready for.  Once this week winds up, I'll be off to Cadiz and then the weekend after that, I'll finally be staying in Madrid.  Traveling is great but I sort of miss my new city!

Love you all.
Un abrazo! (hug)

Also, per usual, check out my other blog (cus the cool kids have 2): http://www.globaljewishvoice.com/2012/02/21/tapas-no-sangria-no-chicken-noodle-soup-yes-please/


                                                                                                  

1 comment:

  1. SO jealous. I love love love flamenco, and studied it a little bit with some amazing teachers in Boston, but to see flamenco in SPAIN! (on my birthday?!) Amazing. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete